How’s it going everyone, it’s October and the 3DS release is out and I’ve been playing it to death, hopefully the review of it will be up sometime soon and you guys can read my thoughts and overall opinion on it! So this post is all about October plus the direct that we had which brought out over 50 facts Some are old news, but most were basically new information so let’s talk about the most important ones!
So the official site has updated weekly with the remaining unlockable characters: Ness, Ganondorf, Dr. Mario, Falco, R.O.B., Dark Pit, Wario, and Mr. Game and Watch (and a Miiverse update about Alph)., but there was a little more! ON the Wii U version, Ness, Ganondorf, Bowser Jr., and Jigglypuff are a part of the starting roster unlike their unlockable status on the 3DS version.
Yup, the direct sort of ended with a trailer for Bowser Jr. (and the Koopalings) since the direct explained the fact we were allowed to have 8-player smash! Badass trailer and having played the 3DS version, he’s a tricky character but a great inclusion I must say.
HOWEVER, that was easily overshadowed with what came after. Confirmation of DLC for both games, starting with Mewtwo a returning veteran from Melee which is pretty damn amazing. I will say that I’m expecting some pretty cool changes for him and will love to end up getting him. If you get both games, it’ll be free, so I assume you can pay to get hi if you don’t get one or the other.
Stages (Wii U)
- Congo Jungle (from 64)
- Temple (from Melee)
- Yoshi’s Island (from Melee)
- Onett (from Melee)
- Delfino Plaza (from Brawl)
- Mario Circuit (from Brawl)
- Luigi’s Mansion (from Brawl)
- Bridge of Eldin (from Brawl)
- Norfair (from Brawl)
- Port Town Aero Dive (from Brawl)
- Halberd (from Brawl)
- Lylat Cruise (from Brawl)
- Castle Siege (from Brawl)
- Skyworld (from Brawl)
- Smashville (from Brawl)
- 75m (from Brawl)
- Big Battlefield – Basically, Big Battlefield is just that, a much bigger Battlefield to support 8-player matches. Though it sems like it gets its own music away from the original Battlefield, so I am curious to what songs will be chosen for the two!
- Mario Circuit – Interesting to see that we get a new Mario Kart stage based off the most recent entry to the series! I wonder how it’ll work since the course itself has some anti-gravity tricks up it’s sleeve, maybe we”ll travel down the track and it’ll do the same? It’ll be cool!
- Jungle Hijinxs – For the first time in Smash Bros., a stage will actually have two simultaneous areas in the back and foregrounds. I really loved that they used that for Donkey Kong because the barrels are a great way to go between the areas and makes things more crazy than normal, thought we’d seen it all, but Sakurai once again shocks us!
- Pyrosphere – WE FINALLY GET RIDLEY NEWS. He is a stage hazard and acts like the Flying Men in Magicant on the 3DS version of the game. As in he can fight on your side and get destroyed as well, he can also turn into Meta Ridley is tempted enough to do so. Makes an interesting stage more chaotic and although I’m not too much of a fan of bosses within the stages themselves, at least Ridley is somewhere in the game.
- The Great Cave Offensive – So wow, this stage is HUGE and I thought Palutena’s Temple was huge, this is really compact and yet so amazing to see. It seems the stage brought it a certain element from the “Run / Jump” games after doing a round of Smash Run (basically the Danger Zones) and if you’re over 100% in damage, it’s an instant KO no matter what. Beyond that, the stages looks amazing and gives a lot of nostalgic trips from Kirby Super Star.
- Orbital Gate Assault – I mean, yay a new Star Fox stage but we still begin on the Great Fox, but after a while we’ll have to ride on a missile as it goes through the gates and everything. Interesting stage, but I wanna know more about it as it is a traveling stage. Also conversations between the Star Fox members happen here.
- Palutena’s Temple – Replacing the Codec’s you had as Snake, a similar situation happens on Palutena’s Temple if you’re playing as Pit (not sure if it’ll be any different playing as Dark Pit or even Palutena).
- Kalos Pokemon League – We know that Pokemon appear on the stage depending on what Elite Four room you’re in.
- Gamer – A stage from Game and Wario gets represented and it gets exciting as you’re trying to hide away from the mom, because if you’re caught, you get damage!
- Gaur Plain – Similar to Pyrosphere, Metal Face is the boss of the stage and attacks and even destroys the stage. He can be defeated too so keep on your toes!
- Wrecking Crew – I’m not sure how this stage will work, but there’s something that reminds me of Tomodachi Life (the stage in Smash 3DS) but it loses levels…and it isn’t one of those “original graphics” so it’s an interesting stage and I hope to learn more!
- Wuhu Island – I thought Wuhu Island was just a part of the Pilotwings stage, but it seems it gets its own stage. Not sure what entails in this stage, but I find it interesting since I’m sure it’s a parallel to Tomodachi Life
- Miiverse – Last but not least, we get a Miiverse stage and it seems like it might be a DLC stage or a late addition because it needs to kind of get things right with the Miiverse which posts pop up in the background as visual goodness. Though the stage is kind of basic, having a Battlefield arrangement…I’m not sure how I feel quite yet, but hey more stages
- Stage Builder – Happy to see this return and fleshed out a bit more too! You can even draw it which really opens the possibilities of creations. I can’t wait to dive into this and hopefully it comes with better default stages unlike the three we got in Brawl (Hole, Bath, and Maze).
- a stage based off of Yoshi’s Woolly World – There’s nothing that’s known about it besides the fact it’s there…I’m VERY curious to know what this one is about.
So we had a LOT of other things announced and while many are cool some just seem to stand out more like 8-player Smash!
- 8-player Smash – Yeah, 8 people can play each other and while it is limited to some stages, it’s just really cool to see the series open up to so many people (though I’m not sure how well it’ll be given you need a lot of friends to even to this (though you couldjust set it to 7 CPUs XD.
- Classic Mode – Which got revamped it seems and it judges on how well you do vs. just walking down a line (plus I think it is possible to fight 7 opponents here!
- All Star Mode – Reversed in comparison to 3DS where you begin fighting the youngest and newest characters to the oldest.
- Events – Instead of fighting down a linear-ish path, you have a grid-like situation where you beat one and it opens three more…and so-on and so-forth.
- Tourney – Literally what it was in Brawl but more viable
- Masterpieces – Woo more demos!
- My Music – Woo more music!
- Smash Tour – So with Smash Run being a 3DS exclusive, everyone was curious to know about the Wii U one and it’s a doozy. It’s like a mix of Smash Bros., Mario Party, and Fortune Street where you move around this board gathering power-ups and duking it out. It definitely isn’t a fan-servicey as Smash Run, but this does kind of got me perking my ears up as it sounds pretty neat!
- Special Orders – Now I’m still trying to figure this one out, but it’s like event mode, but done by the two “Hands” (y’know, Master and Crazy Hand) and something about coins and tickets and random stuff…it seems like a cool idea though.
- Everything else, is mostly stuff we got from the 3DS version but a lot of it added something new like co-op or etc.
That’s about all I need to write, so I will be working on my 3DS Smash review! (and maybe the Theatrhythm sequel too) so keep checking back ^^